The Romance Novel Strikes Again (this time there are aliens)
I have once again been struck by my intense desire to write a romance novel. I have two premises that I quite like, but that cannot overlap in one story. The first being lovers who only spend a very brief amount of time together (say, one day or three days for a whole novel). For another story, there is a pair of lovers separated by place. What is the furthest away they could be from one another?
That's where aliens come into it. The furthest someone can be from another person is on the other side of the universe. Or, indeed, in an alternate universe. So, let's go with this idea for a little while. Our lovers are on other sides of a universal divide. How do they know each other? How do they affect each other's lives? At least one of the characters must be powerful enough to see into the other universe. Maybe they are a powerful psychic in a world where some psychic powers are the norm. Perhaps they are a psychic alien looking for their one fated mate only to discover that their one person, their true love, is an impossible distance away.
How do you talk to someone in another universe? Through dreams. Through psychic visions. Through alien abduction. Through religious experience. This is all coming together in a wild, helter-skelter ride of science fantasy. Maybe I keep pushing the wildness. Keep taking it further.
Maybe our heroine is part of a religious order of alien psychics who must only use their powers for the communal good, but she keeps getting distracted by her favourite Earthling. I love it. How long can we make it? Some 80 000 words, maybe? I'll submerge myself in science fantasy romances (I own quite a few) to get a taste for the subgenre. Maybe I'll even add an alternate/shattered history? Yes, I love this.
Why am I sharing all this with you? Well, I'd like someone to know what I'm getting up to. And I'm not afraid of anyone "stealing" my ideas because ideas don't make stories, the hard graft of writing makes stories. So, I'll get on with that.
Comments
Post a Comment